For anyone who has ever sung in a choir with me, they'll know that I am most definitely a soprano... My voice is soprano, and my mindset won't move from that of a soprano...
So imagine my surprise and joy this morning when I was going through the hymnbook and playing some hymns and sight-singing the alto parts with about 95% accuracy! I struggle to sing the alto part if I've been taught it, let alone playing all four parts, and then picking out the alto. But I did it!
It's been a long time coming... In Primary School I sang alto, not very well, purely because I was a music student, so the music teachers decided that I should sing alto because I'd be able to sing a different part. Also, my speaking voice is relatively low, so I think most people are surprised when they hear my singing voice, which is definitely soprano. So as soon as I got to High School I moved over to soprano, and that's where I've stayed ever since.
Then three and a half years ago I was called as the ward choir director (one of the callings that I think I've enjoyed the most ever) and I started having to work with the other parts a lot more. I was able to sing the men's parts with the men to help them, but when I tried to sing the alto part I still struggled. To all those altos who sang in my choir, they'll know how often I had to give up part way through a verse, and I just wasn't very useful to them.
Then a couple months ago I got released, because with a second baby approaching it was becoming impossible for me to lead the choir anymore. My dad was called in my place, but because of conflicting demands on his time he was released and my Uncle Ron called a couple weeks ago (Uncle Ron and his new wife, Pamela, moved into our ward a little while ago). The choir was very much in need of altos, so I decided to try and help them out as much as my children would allow...
Well I struggled... and struggled... and struggled... My mind just didn't want to allow me to sing below the sopranos. I'd get it right occasionally, but I still needed to be thoroughly taught the part, then sing it against the full accompaniment, and only then could I try, usually unsuccessfully to sing with the other parts. Very time consuming and frustrating! I read music! I should be able to do this!
And then suddenly in the last 2 weeks my mind has finally shifted (probably helped by Sis Jean singing in my ear...) It's been more that 15 years in the coming, but it has finally allowed me to sing alto! In the practices, at least. But then this morning I was able to also break the problem I have of not being able to sing a part when I'm playing all 4 parts on the piano.
After playing/singing about 5 hymns almost perfectly I was so totally amazed, I found myself just having to say a very awestruck prayer of thanks. It may seem funny, but it brought me such joy to get this right! I walked around with a smile on my face for a long time afterwards!
Now I've just got to see if I can still sing the alto so well with other people singing full voice around me!
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment